I’m participating in Pitch Wars this year and it’s been incredibly fun so far. If you’re thinking “What the heck is Pitch Wars?” you should go to this website immediately.
In order to share about myself, my manuscript, and my love for writing, I now present to you my #PimpMyBio post!
Hey there! I’m T.K. Yeager!
I’m a twenty-something-year-old writer who loves all things romance and HEA (happily ever after). As long as there is at least one moment that makes my heart flip in a book, I’m likely to love it. I enjoy falling head over heels and shipping characters.
I’m an engineer by day, writer by night and I love pretty much all things nerdy (comics, pinball, board games, pokemon, the physics of flying airplanes… you name it). I also love music and can play the marching bass drum like a boss.
Other random likes:
- Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream
- Belting out songs from the radio in my car
- Cheering on my other writer friends!
- Anything scary/creepy
- READING/WATCHING THE END OF A BOOK/MOVIE FIRST OMG, NO. I HATE SPOILERS
My Favorite Books:
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
Elenor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Another random fact: I don’t like posting pictures of myself. And it’s not because I think I’m ugly or have low self-esteem. It’s more that I enjoy a little privacy and also, I enjoy making really dumb faces in order to photo bomb my own photos, haha. If you for some reason are dying to see a picture of me, there’s one on my “About” page and one on my twitter, and that’s all you (should) need. However, I will share ALL the pictures of the following things…
My Vizsla puppy, Sonar:
He is adorable and troublesome and I gosh darn it I just love him so much.
My traveling gnome/stuffed animal PhaePhae (=fat fat in Mandarin ^_^)
This is what my husband and I do on vacation instead of taking selfies.
About my Book
Are you also participating in Pitch Wars? If that’s the case, I sure hope you enjoy the premise of my novel!!
Title: The REAL Galagirl
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Secondary genres: Humor, Comic-book fantasy
POV: First person diary/Epistolary (It can switch between present and past tense depending on when my MC is talking about)
Comps: The Princess Diaries (Meg Cabot)/ Audrey, Wait! (Robin Benway)
Actress lands first role opposite her superhero crush. The hero turns evil, the media’s against her & the villain steals her heart #YA #CR
Eighteen-year-old Reena Hunter is so #blessed… and yet SO freaking screwed.
Reasons for being #blessed:
- She landed a role in the new Galagirl movie, which happens to be her favorite super heroine in the ENTIRE history of kick-butt female supers.
- She gets to play opposite her all time celebrity crush, Willem VanderMa (SWOOOOON!!!)
- The other cast members are also pretty freaking great.
- Her best friends from high school also landed jobs on the movie during filming.
And for the screwed:
- The paparazzi and all their ploys are much harder to deal with than she thought…
- Especially when someone starts blackmailing her using words from her own e-diary entries
- She gets these fluttering butterflies in her stomach whenever Rakesh Patel, the villain of her movie, comes around
- And worst of all, she somehow manages to turn all her best friends, fans, and the media against her…
Reena needs to whip her social life, and not to mention her reputation, into shape before she becomes a complete social disaster to the point where nobody in Hollywood will ever hire her again.
What’s a Galagirl to do?
Some sample cover art for you! (Thanks so much to my friend @bookshores on twitter!)
Brief Overview of the Inspiration for the Comic Book inside my Book:
I love comics and cartoons and everything to do with superpowered individuals. Inspiration for my characters came from the following sources:
Thor and Loki:
All the Sailor Scouts:
Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar Korra
The Power Rangers:
Reasons Why I hope Someone Chooses Me as a Mentee for Pitch Wars
- I actually love editing. The fact that a mentor could help point out my flaws and help me find ways to fix them… that is the DREAM. I love being organized, so making my book better in any way is heaven to me.
- I absolutely LOVE my main character and her voice in this book. Since it’s a diary, you basically get punched in the face with all of Reena’s sass and loud-mouthing behaviors. She doesn’t hold back (and neither do I)
- My technical know-how isn’t the sharpest, but I’m an extremely fast learner and will sponge up any knowledge that I’m taught. Eager to learn over here!!!
- I truly believe in this manuscript. I’m somewhat new to writing entire novels, but I specifically put this idea off until now. I wanted to be a better author by the time I got to it. I really think I created a winner here ^_^
- *Gets onto pedestal* I have a non-white male love interest. Listen everyone, my husband, who is Asian, HATES the fact that most Asian males are hopeless nerds or just plain lame in novels and movies. So, stop it with those clichés. They suck and are damaging to many young, non-white males. My husband is the epitome of swoonworthy, so I feel the need to spread the love of hot non-white guys through my YA. *Bows and gets off pedestal *
- I’m willing to work my butt off. If a mentor likes my concept and voice, but thinks I’ll need to put in a decent amount of work to make my manuscript just right… GOOD! Help me understand where I need to fix things, and I’ll put all my heart and effort into making this manuscript shine.
Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this!
Best of luck to everyone participating in Pitch Wars. It’s an amazing opportunity and an extremely fun experience.
And to all my other Pitch Wars contestants, great job for finishing your book as well!!! *air five*
I’d love to hear your comments below or feel free to tweet at me (I love twitter! @TheRealGalagirl)